Have you launched your online store on Shopify, and your products are irresistible already; waiting to be ordered and shipped to your customers?
There are important steps you must take to effectively showcase your products on Shopify.
How do you organize them effectively so that your customers can easily find what they’re looking for?
Shopify’s collections feature is here to save the day.
In this step-by-step guide, I’ll show you how to add products to collections on Shopify and make your store a shopper’s paradise.
Table Chart: Shopify Key Features and Pricing
|Advanced Shopify Plan
|Shopify Plus Plan
|Number of Products
|Up to 100
|Up to 250
|Advanced Report Builder
|Third-party Calculated Shipping
|Pricing (per month)
|Custom (Contact Shopify)
How to Add Products to a Shopify Store Collection: Step-by-Step Guide:
Adding products to collections on Shopify is quite easy, follow these easy steps:
- Access the Shopify Admin Dashboard: Log in to your Shopify admin panel to access the tools for managing your store’s products and collections.
- Create a New Collection: Click on the “Collections” tab and select “Create Collection.” Give your collection a compelling name and add a brief description to entice customers.
- Organize Collections: Create a collection hierarchy by adding sub-collections under main collections, allowing customers to drill down and find products more easily.
- Add Products to Collections: Manually select products to add to each collection, tailoring the contents to match the collection’s theme.
- Bulk-Add Products: Save time by using filters and conditions to automatically include products in collections. For example, you can tag products with “Summer Collection” and have them automatically appear in the “Summer Fashion Trends” collection.
- Reorder Products within Collections: Rearrange products to create an attractive showcase. Highlight bestsellers and complementary items to encourage cross-selling.
- Manage Collections: Edit existing collections by clicking on them. Update names, descriptions, or products as your store evolves. If needed, delete collections that are no longer relevant.
- Customize Collection Pages: Personalize the appearance of collection pages to match your brand’s aesthetic and create an enticing shopping experience.
- Troubleshoot Issues: Address common problems like products not displaying in collections by checking product tags and filters. Utilize Shopify’s extensive support resources and community forums for guidance.
What are Collections on Shopify Stores? How They Work
Collections are like virtual aisles in your store, where you can group similar products together based on various criteria.
Think of them as your shop’s master organizer, making it easier for your customers to navigate and discover what they need.
For instance, you can create collections for “Summer Fashion Trends,” “Best-Selling Electronics,” or even “Eco-Friendly Products.”
This way, shoppers won’t get lost amidst the endless sea of offerings, increasing the likelihood of conversions and repeat purchases.
Accessing the Shopify Admin Dashboard
To get started, log in to your Shopify admin panel. You’ll be greeted with an intuitive interface, designed to simplify your journey from store setup to product management.
Once inside, head straight to the “Products” section on the left-hand menu. There, you’ll find everything you need to organize your inventory with ease.
Creating New Collections
Now, let’s dive into creating your first collection. Click on the “Collections” tab, and you’ll see an option to “Create Collection.”
Here, you can give your collection a catchy name, like “Glamorous Gifts for Her,” and add a brief description to entice your customers. The description sets the stage for your collection, inviting customers to explore further.
Collection Organization and Structure
Collections can be organized hierarchically, allowing you to create sub-collections within main collections.
For instance, under “Summer Fashion Trends,” you can have sub-collections like “Stylish Swimwear” and “Lightweight Linen Wear.” This way, your customers can effortlessly drill down to find precisely what they want.
Adding Products to Collections
Adding products to your collections is a breeze. Within each collection, you can manually select products one by one, tailoring each collection’s contents to match your desired theme.
But wait, what if you have hundreds of products to sort? Fear not, Shopify also allows bulk-adding products based on specific filters.
For example, you can set up a condition to automatically include all products with the “Summer Collection” tag into your “Summer Fashion Trends” collection.
Collection Organization Techniques
To take your collection game to the next level, leverage Shopify’s powerful organization techniques. Utilize product tags and attributes creatively, making automatic inclusion a reality.
For instance, if you have a collection for “Eco-Friendly Products,” you can tag all applicable products as “Eco-Friendly.” Voila! They’ll automatically appear in the collection without any manual effort.
within Collections Imagine your collection is a showcase, and each product is a shining star. Naturally, you’d want to arrange them to create a stunning display.
Shopify lets you do just that by allowing you to reorder products within each collection. Place your bestsellers front and center to captivate visitors and increase their chances of turning into happy customers.
Managing Collections: Editing and Deleting
As your store evolves, you might need to tweak your collections to reflect new trends or seasonal changes.
Editing collections is simple — just click on the collection you wish to modify, and you’ll find options to change the name, description, and even the products within.
And if you no longer need a collection, fear not; you can delete it without any hassle.
- Collection Display and Customization: Your store’s appearance is like its personality – unique and unforgettable. With Shopify, you can customize collection pages to match your brand’s vibe and aesthetic. Choose from a variety of page layouts and design options to create an enticing shopping experience that leaves your customers wanting more.
- Troubleshooting Collection Issues: While Shopify is user-friendly, hiccups can happen. If you encounter any issues, don’t panic. Common problems like products not displaying in collections can be quickly addressed with a few checks and tweaks. Shopify’s extensive support resources and community forums are excellent places to find solutions and connect with other entrepreneurs facing similar challenges.
Pros and Cons of Having a Product Collection on Your Shopify Store:
- Enhanced Product Organization: Collections act as the backbone of your store’s structure, ensuring a seamless shopping experience for your customers. Grouping similar products together makes it easier for visitors to find what they’re looking for, leading to higher customer satisfaction and increased sales.
- Improved User Experience: By curating collections based on themes, seasons, or customer preferences, you create a user-friendly interface that guides shoppers through their journey. A well-organized store keeps customers engaged, reducing bounce rates and increasing the chances of conversions.
- Better Upselling and Cross-Selling Opportunities: With collections, you can strategically place complementary products side by side. This opens up cross-selling possibilities, encouraging customers to explore related items and potentially make multiple purchases.
- Seasonal and Trend-Based Promotions: Collections are perfect for running targeted marketing campaigns. Whether it’s a summer sale or a holiday collection, you can create seasonal promotions that resonate with your audience and drive traffic to specific product sets.
- Personalization and Customer Segmentation: You can create collections catering to different customer segments based on their preferences, location, or purchase history. Tailoring the shopping experience boosts customer engagement and loyalty.
- Ease of Maintenance and Updates: Collections allow you to make changes swiftly. Adding or removing products, updating descriptions, or rearranging items is a hassle-free process, ensuring your store stays fresh and up-to-date.
- Overwhelming Collections: While collections are meant to streamline the shopping process, too many collections or complicated hierarchies might confuse customers. Strive for simplicity and avoid clutter to keep visitors focused on the products.
- Neglected Collections: On the other hand, having too few collections may result in product disorganization, making it challenging for customers to browse through your offerings efficiently. Strike a balance between specific and broad collections.
- Outdated or Inactive Collections: Abandoned or outdated collections can create a negative impression on visitors. Regularly review your collections and remove or update ones that are no longer relevant.
- Inconsistent Product Tagging: Using tags to automatically populate collections requires consistency. If product tags are applied haphazardly, some products may not appear where they should, leading to an inconsistent shopping experience.
- Limited Customization Options: While Shopify offers a range of customization features, some merchants may desire more flexibility in designing collection pages to match their unique branding and store aesthetics.
4 Successful Shopify Stores with Collections:
1. Wanderlust Adventures – Outdoor Gear Emporium:
Wanderlust Adventures, an online outdoor gear store, has perfected the art of collections. Their homepage features a stunning array of themed collections, such as “Camping Essentials” and “Hiking Gear for Explorers.”
By curating products based on outdoor activities, they cater to adventure seekers and encourage them to explore more products within each collection.
2. The Cozy Home Store – Interior Decor Boutique:
The Cozy Home Store has mastered the art of seasonal collections. With each passing season, their homepage transforms into a captivating display of products. From “Winter Warmth” to “Spring Fling,” customers are drawn to their ever-changing, beautifully curated collections that inspire seasonal home decor updates.
3. Tech Innovations – Cutting-Edge Electronics Hub:
Tech Innovations knows the power of cross-selling. Their “Complete Smart Home Set” collection bundles various smart devices, like smart speakers, security cameras, and smart lighting systems, to offer customers a comprehensive smart home experience. This strategic grouping has led to increased average order values and customer satisfaction.
4. Eco-Conscious Living – Sustainable Lifestyle Boutique:
Eco-Conscious Living takes personalization to the next level. By offering collections tailored to specific eco-friendly lifestyles, like “Zero-Waste Warriors” and “Eco-Friendly Moms,” they resonate with their target audience and build a strong sense of community around their brand.
These successful Shopify stores demonstrate the effectiveness of collections in enhancing the shopping experience, boosting sales, and building brand loyalty.
They have harnessed the power of collections to cater to their unique niches, inspiring other entrepreneurs to curate their collections with creativity and purpose.
Mastering the art of adding products to collections on Shopify is a game-changer for any ecommerce entrepreneur.
As you organize your store effectively, you’ll transform it into a shopper’s haven, encourage repeat visits and build lasting customer relationships.
So, put on your virtual curator hat and let your creativity shine, turning your Shopify store into a retail masterpiece!